Sunday, February 15, 2009

More new U2: No Line on the Horizon title track

A friend alerted me to the fact that another song from U2's upcoming CD, No Line on the Horizon, has surfaced on the Internet. This time it's the title track.  You can listen here.

Like the first single, "Get On Your Boots," this isn't a great song, but is a very good, solid song that has the makings of a hit. It's a catchy, funky little pop tune with lots of guitar, and if I had randomly heard this, I'm not sure if I would have known it was U2. Bono's vocals are different throughout most of the song, and is only easily recognizable as Bono in parts of the chorus. In fact, I think part of what draws me to this song is that it IS different.

And, as has been reported widely, U2 will be David Letterman's musical guests for an unprecedented five nights the week of March 2nd. The new album will be released here in the States on March 3rd. Really looking forward to getting the whole disc in my hands and working through it, listening to both the music and lyrics...as U2's songs always require much more than a cursory listen.

If you are a fan of U2 and want a better understanding of their musical canon, I would highly suggest the book Walk On by Steve Stockman.

No comments: