Wednesday, March 07, 2007

The Long and Short of It

Each year a group of "listmakers" affiliated with the music industry puts together a "long list" of nominees which is eventually whittled down to a "short list" and then the Shortlist Music Prize is given out to one of those nominees. These are generally bands and artists that are flying under the radar...in other words they have a significant following without selling massive amounts of CDs.

Yesterday the Long List was announced and included were some really interesting bands. First off, the list is put together by a group of listmakers, which this time around includes last years Shortlist winner, Sufjan Stevens. Other listmakers for this year include members of Snow Patrol, Franz Ferdinand, The Killers, Flaming Lips, as well as KT Tunstall and more. By the way, in case you missed it, Sufjan's album "Come on, Feel the Illinoise" was definitely one of the best albums of 2005, and his concert in support of that album was nothing short of genius.

As for the nominees, a few bigger name bands are present, including Beck, Neil Young, Belle & Sebastian, and Tom Waits. But I was particulary pleased to see Mute math on the list. Their latest album is phenomenal and I eagerly await their new DVD. I was most surprised that they were nominated by Panic at the Disco! ( a band I have NO interest in whatsoever). Other nominees of interest to me include Danielson (nominated, not surprisingly, by Sufjan), Midlake, Regina Spektor, The Roots, Jeremy Enigk, and The Decemberists. Albums from these last two were among my top albums of 2006, along with Mute math.

This is a great way to find some wonderful new music that you most likely won't be hearing on the radio. I plan on checking out a lot of the artists with whom I'm unfamiliar, and invite you to do the same.

Not sure when the winner will be announced, but I'll be sure to let you know. Personally, I'd love to see either Mute Math or Jeremy Enigk win, but I think they are longshots at best. Here's hoping!

No comments: