Sunday, July 06, 2008

Reduce, Reuse, Recycle, Re-emerge...

Well, it's been over a year and after months of toying with the idea of bringing this blog back, or starting a new one, I've finally decided to wade back into the waters. I initially thought about starting a new blog and letting this one just languish out there in the World Wide Wasteland...but I'm too lazy. So I've restructured this one a little and have decided to be ecologically minded and recycle the existing blog. (Where exactly DO old blogs go? Is there a landfill for them? If so, I'm sure it's pretty darn full!)

Regardless, I've been inspired to re-enter the blogosphere because of how I've immersed myself more in the world of music (thanks in part to my job in radio), and I have become aware of an intensely thriving culture, arts, and music scene here in Central PA, and particularly in Lancaster. In fact, this morning I was jotting down some phrases and ideas to help a friend with a bio, and one phrase that popped into my head was extremely well-intentioned, yet ridiculously silly...especially if you were to use it in a band biography. If I were a musician, I think I would be insulted if this sentence were used to describe me:

"rising out of the cultural compost of a very fertile Lancaster music scene"

But there is a lot of truth in that sentence, and that is why I find myself back here, at least in part. As I meet people throughout the area, the conversation invariably turns to me telling them about how great the local music and arts scene is at the moment. There's a fine line between a dung-heap and a compost pile...and what's going on in this area certainly isn't a pile of crap.

So as I move forward, I plan on talking about some great music, some of which is from this area, and I'm always on the lookout for more great music, so don't hesitate to tell me about the bands and musicians who are pleasing your ears these days. I have no clue where this will take me, but along the way, I plan to have some fun, and perhaps make some observations on the world around me. Music. Books. Culture. Sports. and Life in General.

Hope you enjoy this little visit to the compost heap. Tell your friends, and to steal a phrase from my friend Tom Bodett, "We'll leave the light on for you..."

No comments: