Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Music and DVD Releases this week

A few years ago I used to provide a regular feature of upcoming CD and DVD releases. I'm thinking I might want to bring that back.  But I definitely wanted to do it this week because one of the most important DVD releases of the year is happening today.

Released today is the 2008 Philadelphia Phillies: The Official World Series Film featuring highlights of the season and the series. Important because these things don't happen very often for us Phillies fans. However this DVD may be eclipsed by the December 9th release of the 8-disc The Philadelphia Phillies 2008 World Series Collection which features complete games. I think I want them both. Hope my kids read this blog before they do their Christmas shopping! Also hope they are saving their money...

Other cool DVDs this week include a boxed set Freaks & Geeks Yearbook Edition. This was one of my favorite shows from the late 90s, mostly because it pretty much chronicled the era of my high school years fairly accurately (note: I was neither a freak nor a geek.) I won't be getting this one because I already have an earlier boxed set of this show. Really funny stuff from Paul Feig and Judd Apatow. And since we're talking about boxed sets, how about EVERY Pink Panther movie ever made? 18-discs in the Pink Panther Ultimate Collection. Not for me, but I'm sure someone must want it...

As for music I'm looking forward to this week:

Coldplay - Prospekts March EP 
David Byrne & Brian Eno - Everything That Happens Will Happen Today
Death Cab for Cutie - Something About Airplanes (remastered with bonus disc)
R.E.M. - Murmur (remastered with bonus disc)

Yeah, there's a whole lot more coming out today, but those are the highlights for me. 

Keep enjoying music and have a great Thanksgiving holiday. See you on the other side of November!

No comments: