Friday, October 17, 2008

Did someone say World Series?

So....I've waited a few days to post this because I'm waiting to wake up from this dream. But apparently it is true. The Phillies are going to the World Series. There. I said it. As a Philly native and life-long Phillies fan, this is truly amazing. The only World Series we have won was 1980, but it seems like such a distant memory. More present in my mind is the Great Debacle of 1993. Great team to watch...but....well, Mitch Williams happened.




But here we are. 2008, and this loveable bunch of guys is headed to the Fall Classic. And in typical Philly fashion I am hopeful, but not overly optimistic. But that's who we are. It's what we do. We're Philly sports fans. Low expectations. That way it minimizes the disappointment.





If you're a Yankee fan, or a Braves fan, you might be disappointed this year, but you don't know our pain. Cubs fans are one of the few groups that can relate. If you want to find out more, I highly suggest Joe Queenan's hilarious book: True Believers - The Tragic Inner Life of Sports Fans. Great book.








And maybe I've jinxed it, because I've already told my boys that if the Phils DO win this thing, we'll be headed down to Philly for the parade...which is something Jamie Moyer got to do in 1980, but I didn't.




So let's go Phils!

No comments: